As I lay here in bed on a Monday afternoon having spent the whole day lounging around doing absolutely nothing productive, I finally thought “what shall I blog about today?” and having felt not quite myself for the past few days I decided I needed a mental pep talk and a pick me up! Having just recently overcome depression (I think) and having an autoimmune disease, I do seem to spend quite a few of these crappy days in bed but I have become a master of pick-me-ups and doing little things to get me up and rehabilitated into the world, so here’s my top 5:
- Pamper Yourself. Any guys reading this might be a bit put off but honestly, I know loads of guys who love a good face mask and all those little feel good pleasures. For me, showering some days can feel like a chore especially if I’m having a bad flare up with my RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) so I end up stuck in bed for half the day until I can’t take it anymore. Once I’m up I may as well go the whole nine yards and do a deep cleanse facial, shave, a cheeky face mask, wash my hair etc. It gives me such a confidence boost because I feel and look human again rather than the smelly gremlin that was laying in my bed earlier! Check out my fav beauty products here.
- Listen to Music. We have a tendency to listen to music which matches our moods and if you’re feeling a bit low or not quite yourself, I wouldn’t recommend listening to sad and slow songs. It’s great that you’ve found an artist/song that you can relate to but they’re not exactly going to lift your mood or energy. Try listening to upbeat music! My fav album that really helps right now is Bruno Mars’ 24K Magic album, it always makes me feel good.
- Surround Yourself. This isn’t always the most accessible and most of the time we don’t want to be around anyone if we’re not feeling too good. I’m very stubborn and once I’m in a mood I’d rather be alone in bed but having a loved one come and drag me out of bed always distracts me from whatever I was feeling crappy about.
- Take a Walk. Once I’ve summoned up the energy to do so, I love taking a little walk by the river just to clear my mind, take in some fresh air and get my thoughts together.
- Plans and Organisation. This isn’t necessarily a pick-me-up but it’s something I like doing when I feel a bit discouraged or unsure about things. I love writing down my plans or brainstorming my ideas so I can visually see it all. I also find cleaning really therapeutic too.
I hope this helps and at least one of these will work for you!